Regions of Panama
Panamá will be usually seperated in nine provinces (provincias) and two territories (comarcas ).
The provinces are : Panamá, Chiriquí, Bocas del Toro, Coclé, Colón, Darién, Herrera, Los Santos and Veraguas. There are also two independent territories : Ngöbe-Buglé and Kuna Yala (San Blas Islands)
Actually the politically seperated provinces are not very important for travelling through the country. Therefore we have seperated Panama in 5 travel regions , which you should visit.
Panama can be divided in 5 regions:
- Panama–City: Including the panama-canal, although it reaches the Caribbean cost.
- The central Caribbean: The beginning of the canal and province capital Colón. In the south of Colón, are beautiful beaches located.
- The central Pacific: Good reachable from the capital, the central pacific coast pass over to the south-west, into the peninsula Azuero.
- West-Panama: Is consisted of the provinces Veraguas, Chiriquí and Bocas del Toro. West-panama adjoins to the border of Costa Rica.
- East-Panama: The east encloses the wild province Darién, which reaches to the border of Columbia.
The most important cities of panama are those , you can find more informations about them at the chapter about the region.
- Panama-City - capital
- David - capital of the province Chririquí
- Colon- capital of the province Colón
- Santiago -capital of the province Veraguas