This module fits perfectly to the beginning of a trip through Costa Rica, and connects 3 major goals that are easy for a trip in Costa Rica: Tortuguero National Park, the rain forest in the Caribbean basin at the National Park "la amistad", and the beautiful beaches of the Caribbean of Costa Rica. The duration of the module is flexible and can be elaborated with us.
The flora and fauna from the National Park are unique in this world. Our guides have the knowledge and the experience to match people's requests.
The ride starts in Santa Ana / San José and you'll go through the Braulio Carillo National Park, a very interesting National Park, which starts almost at the gates of the capital, and pulls up to the Caribbean level. The National Park consists mainly of cloud forests. In the way you will get opportunities to look at it, and receive explanations.
The breakfast takes place in a very friendly restaurant at the Rio Dante, where you have the opportunity to venture a trip to the tropical rain forest, which is already dominant at this altitude. It is now by boat from the ranch. Depending on how many animals you can watch during the trip, it takes around 2 hours until the lodge.
Once there, and after a welcome drink, there is a powerful lunch before the first tour starts. The tours are included or optional depending on the package. There is an enormous variety, we recommend doing at least the following:
- Early guided tour by boat, 6:00 to 8:30 in the Tortuguero National Park, where you can meet an enormous variety of animals and plants. Particularly the bird life is very active at this time and you get to face quite a lot of the more than 300 species of the National Park.
- Hike through the rainforest, about 2 hours, with detailed explanations of tropical rainforest and its inhabitants. This tour is offered twice a day, and it is recommended to do both, one during the day, and the other one in the night. Those are two really different experiences.
- Walk on the muddy paths of the national park, where you will learn what that “mud”means. Knee-deep mud is crossed, and vines, and tropical plants from the lizards position will be seen.
- Visit the Tortuguero: a nice, pleasant place, where the taxis are bicycles with trailers. Directly on the beach with a friendly atmosphere. You can visit the nice museum, or just stroll through the streets, and just enjoy life away from the civilization.
- Kajak tour: after having already won a detailed knowledge of the flora and fauna, then comes a kayak tour, to look up close at things again in peace. Here you will be with a small group going upstream, so you can easily return within three hours to the lodge.
- Turtles spawning: this is only in the spawning season, from July to October, and it provides an unforgettable experience. If you go at night to the beach, you may watch one of the giant tortoises, as it lays its eggs, and digs a nest. The whole thing is strictly monitored by volunteers, so that the turtles are not disturbed during their work. Photographing and white lights are strictly prohibited, dark clothing is recommended.
The lunch on the day of the journey, takes place outside the national park. Then, from there, we take a private ride to Bananito on the Caribbean coast.
The journey continues for a few days in the jungle. The starting point is the famous Selva Bananito Lodge. The Lodge is more than just a place to stay in the rainforest, it is also a great accommodation.
In addition, there is a big project behind it, where the environment and nature conservation have top priority. This is the starting point for exciting trips and adventures in the dense rainforest.
Horses are available for jungle tours. There are horses for any class. Even the absolute beginners who has never sat on a horse, doesn't have to worry. Professional guides and tour guides will be taking care of you. A ride at a gallop across the barren steppe is included on the program. A visit to a waterfall in the rainforest can be performed on horseback or by foot.
You may spend one day by trekking, away from the lodge, where you can almost reach the national park "La Amistad", a common National Park of Panama and Costa Rica. Waterfalls, wildlife, environmental protection programs, and active participation in protecting the environment are on the program.
There are also adrenalin offers. Many tours and activities are included in the tour price.
Canopy: wires floating through the tops of giant trees. Rappel: throw yourself down from a giant tree, or climb the highest trees of the tropical rainforest.
Anyone who enjoys watching birds, doesn't have to go too far. Even from your balcony of the room, you are able to see and hear a lot of them. The professional guides of the lodge are true ornithologists, and will show you surprisingly many different species.
The next section of the journey, is only a short onward trip: it involves the nearby beach town of Cahuita. Cahuita is famous for its Caribbean atmosphere, the reggae music, and the white sandy beaches. After many days of adventure at rainforest you will be pleased when having a little nightlife, music, and freshly prepared cocktails.
You can book through the Posada a convenient half-day tour with snorkeling and hiking, but you can also do it on your own, make your way by foot to the nearby National Park.
Gorgeous white sandy beaches invite you to a bath, the coral reefs are accessible by swimming. Anyone who brings something to eat, must take care of his belongings. The monkeys from the National Park do not take the laws in serious.
Many more tour and excursion possibilities.
Overnight at Posada Suizo Loco Lodge. Comfortable rooms in a tropical garden, great food, pool, Wi-Fi and nice people.