Tortuguero National Park
The best wildlife Tour in Costa Rica
complete Tour from San José or Santa Ana
Those who like to get to know the Tortuguero National Park (and it is really a must-see, if you are in Costa Rica), there are different posibilities. The idea is, to combine a stay in Tortuguero with great tours. We can help to realize this tour.
In fact, you should not travel to the Tortuguero National Park without an organized tour. Because you may pay a lot more money and will see less wildlife.
A very simple solution is a three-day trip from/ to Santa Ana/ San Jose/central valley. You will be picked up early in the morning at your Hotel or Hostel, and you will be back there after three days. Everything is organized, the majority of trips are included in the package, you can buy some extras on site. The big advantage here is that you don't have to worry about anything else, you get a guarantee that in no time you will see a lot of interesting things, and you will be accompanied by professional guides.
The flora and fauna at the National Park is unique in this world. Our guides have the knowledge and the experience to match your needs.
The ride starts in Santa Ana/ San José or any meeting- point in the central valley and you'll go through the Braulio Carrillo National Park, a very interesting National Park, which starts almost at the gates of the capital, and ends at Caribbean level. The National Park consists mainly of cloud forests. In the way you will get opportunities to observe it and receive detailed explanations.
The breakfast takes place in a very friendly restaurant at the Rio Dante, where you have the opportunity to venture a trip to the tropical rain forest, which is already dominant at this altitude. Later you board the boat to the Camp. Depending on how many animals you see during the trip, it takes up to 2 hours to reach Tortuguero National park.
Once there, and after a welcome drink, there is a powerful lunch before the first tour starts. The tours are included or optional, depending the package. There is an enormous variety, we recommend doing at least the following:
- Morning guided tour by boat, 6:00 to 8:30 in the Tortuguero National Park, where you can meet an enormous variety of animals and plants. Particularly the bird life is very active at this time and you get to face quite a lot of the more than 300 species of the National Park.
- Hike in the rain forest, about 2 hours, with detailed explanations of tropical rainforest and its inhabitants. This tour is offered twice a day, and it is recommended to do both, one during the day, and the other one in the night. Those are two really different experiences.
- Walk on the muddy paths of the national park, where you will learn what that “mud”means. Knee-deep mud is crossed, and vines, and tropical plants from the lizards position will be seen.
- Visit the Tortuguero: a nice, pleasant place, where the taxis are bicycles with trailers. Directly on the beach with a friendly atmosphere. You can visit the nice museum, or just stroll through the streets, and just enjoy life away from the civilization.
- Kayak tour: after having already won a detailed knowledge of the flora and fauna, then comes a kayak tour, to look up close at things again in peace. Here you will be with a small group going upstream, so you can easily return within three hours to the lodge.
- Turtles spawning (only in the spawning season, from July to October) and it provides an unforgettable experience. If you go at night to the beach, you may watch one of the giant tortoises, as it lays its eggs, and digs a nest. The whole thing is strictly monitored by volunteers, so that the turtles are not disturbed during their work. Photographing and white lights are strictly prohibited, dark clothing is recommended.
Apart from the standard three-day tour, we offer many variations. Instead of traveling back to San Jose, we are also pleased to do a further trip to the Caribbean beaches of Cahuita, Puerto Viejo, or Bocas del Toro in Panama.